ARMS policies are designed to unify the leadership of the “Her Journey” classes. Nothing is more powerful than a group united together for the glory of God in bringing His healing and restoration to the lives of the abused and hurting. In order for this to take place we all need to be in agreement about the direction we are heading and how we are going to get there. It is important that all leaders sign this policy agreement before teaching classes. We are looking for people who not only give us their signature on paper but who also are in agreement in their hearts. If you are unable to do this, we ask you not to sign or lead a group and trust that God has another direction for you.
- Have a personal relationship with God.
- Attend church regularly and participate in regular prayer and read the Bible.
- Willing to submit to authority and follow guidelines. The calling to be a leader requires accountability, first to God and then to others that God puts in our lives.
- Willing to wait for God’s timing. While some women feel called to lead these classes, the timing may not be right. Waiting for God’s perfect timing is as important as being obedient to do what He has called us to do.
- In a healthy place. Generally, we ask that women who are still in abusive relationships or recently out, to not lead groups. If a woman is in the midst of a divorce or recently divorced, we ask that you wait at least until one year past your final divorce date. *(Exceptions may be made for women who are still living with a husband who has been abusive to them, if he has completed or is currently half way through an abuse intervention program for men and making progress.)
- Have a balanced view of men, as opposed to having a negative view.
- Looking to serve others, knowing that the classes aren’t there for you to share your story but are about serving others.
- Lead “Her Journey” classes as outlined by ARMS
- Encourage women to seek their healing through God
- Help women to see what options are available for them
- Pray for and with the women you serve
- Believe God hears and answers your prayers
- Do not try to fix things for the women you serve(e.g. Make phone calls for a woman to find housing or a job). You can referher to where she can find these things. We want to empower her, not do for her what she can do for herself.
- Do not give out phone numbers of leaders or participants. Do not make phone calls to class members. This does not mean that in a rare case, you can’t have contact with class attendees if God puts them on your heart but to remember we are here to empower them to see they can make positive changes, not do it for them. Do not make phone calls if it will in any way compromise a woman’s safety.
- Do not do individual counseling. If women need counseling, please referthem out. Do not meet with attendees outside of group for anything regarding her healing process and/or ARMS.
- Do not copy any part of the Her Journey Leadership Bookfor any person without the direct written permission from ARMS. Copy only the handouts for the attendees.
- Do not add, delete, or change the lessonbeyond personalizing it through examples, stories, and scripture.
- Do not acceptany personal checks or cash gifts from class attendees.
- Do notallow any babies or children over three months of age to attend group. Her Journey groups are not intended for children. Please ask ladies to remove their baby from the area, if they become distractive to others. Young women fifteen or older may attend if appropriate.
- Have attendees sign in weekly. If it is unsafe for them to receive phone calls, email or mail have them just sign their name. Attendees may use an alias as long as they sign in with the same alias each week.
- Enter attendance on our website portal weekly.
- Work with women interested in training for leadership.
This will include:
- Verbally recommending a woman for the training program to the ARMS office when a woman shows interest in leading.
- Completing a formal recommendation later on in the process.
- Sharing concerns with interested women who may not be ready for leadership.
- Answering trainee questions or referring trainee to the ARMS office as needed.
- Allowing trainees to take a part in leading some of your group, as appropriate, and providing the recommendations on the ARMS Coachable Moments document. (Contact the ARMS office for this document.)
- Communicating with the ARMS office as to how the trainee is progressing or if there are concerns.
- Recertify through our online training each year (one module). When possible, attend Area Leadership Meeting. These allow us to feel connected and creates unity. By signing this, you are committing to complete one training module online per year, for a nominal fee.
- Give the women opportunity to financially give at each class.We believe in the principle of sowing and reaping. This gives the women an opportunity to feel empowered and own their healing. (Make checks payable to ARMS. Sendany donations you have collected monthly. Please do not send your personal check for amounts given in cash. It is best to wrap cash in paper and send directly.)
Modeling healthy boundaries to these women is crucial.These policies serve as your guidelines for doing this.
Maintaining Substitution Leadership Status – For leaders not leading groups weekly, ARMS requires two things to maintain status as leaders: 1) Yearly recertify through the online educational platform, 2) Substitute for one Her Journey class per year. If leaders are unable to meet these requirements, leaders lose their certification status and asked to discontinue services. (Leaders can be reinstated in the future if they desire to.)
NOTE: (1) You MAY NOT lead a group until your application/background check has been approved, your training is completed, and you have received your Leadership Certificate. (2) If you are currently or in the past year have been involved in counseling for domestic abuse or trauma, we require a letter from your provider on letterhead recommending you for leading a women’s domestic violence recovery group.
ARMS Statement of Faith
- We believe that the Bible is the only true written word of God and that it is the supreme and final authority.
- We believe God is Triune: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus is the Son of God, conceived by the Holy Spirit, and born of the Virgin Mary. He led a sinless life, took on Himself all our sins, died and rose again, and is seated at the right hand of the Father as the only mediator between God and man.
- We believe that the only way to spend eternity with the Father in heaven is to receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior by asking for the forgiveness of our sins and accepting His free gift of salvation.
- We believe in holy Christian living, and we must have concern for the hurts and social needs of mankind.
- We believe in the power of prayer. God hears and answers our prayers
Adhering to these truths is a requirement for ARMS Leadership.
While different religions/denominations may have other doctrines outside of these basic Christian beliefs, we require leaders to strictly adhere to the above Statement of Faith. Our goal is to be respectful of differing denominational views while only teaching that Jesus/God is our Source, Healer, and Savior.
In Christ, our Leader,
I, the undersigned, agree to abide by the policies and beliefs outlined above. I understand that if I step outside these guidelines, I will be asked to discontinue leading the Her Journey program.
I agree that the program/business information of ARMS regarding its operations, including the manner and method of identifying potential group attendees and attendee’s needs, attendee lists, and specialized attendee information, is confidential and that I will not disclose ARMS’ program/business information to any third person without direct written permission from ARMS.
I further agree that the materials that ARMS develops for its programs are the property of ARMS and that the Leader will not copy or distribute the materials to anyone without direct written permission from ARMS, except for the handouts to participants in ARMS’ programs.
It is understood and agreed that if I breach any term of this Agreement, ARMS will be seriously damaged, but the amount of damages will be difficult to ascertain. Accordingly, I agree with ARMS that after my certification ends, that if I breach any term of this Agreement, ARMS will be entitled to an injunction prohibiting violations of this Agreement, in addition to any monetary damages to which ARMS may be entitled and any other remedies provided by applicable law.
This Agreement will be binding on and inure to the benefit of ARMS’s successors and assigns, whether by way of merger, consolidation, operation of law, assignment, or acquisition of the stock or substantially all the assets or business of ARMS. Any successor or assign is included in the term “ARMS” as used in this Agreement.
I agree that all of the materials that ARMS provides to me for the Her Journey program will not be copied or distributed to anyone without direct written permission from ARMS, except for the handouts to participants in the Her Journey program.
Print: __________________________________ Date: ___________________
ARMS reserves the right to add, adjust or delete policies. All leaders will be informed of these changes in writing. Please make a copy of this for your own records. (Revised 2/19)