Her Journey Leadership Policies
ARMS policies are designed to unify the leadership of the Her Journey classes. Nothing is more powerful than a group united together for the glory of God in bringing His healing and restoration to the lives of the abused and hurting.
- Have a personal relationship with God and agree with the ARMS Statement of Faith, including the presence of the Trinity and that the Bible is the one and only book of scripture endorsed by the Lord.
- Attend church regularly and participate in regular prayer and Bible reading.
- Willing to submit to authority and follow guidelines. The calling to be a leader requires accountability, first to God and then to others who God puts in our lives.
- Willing to wait for God’s timing. While some women feel called to lead these classes, the timing may not be right. Waiting for God’s perfect timing is as important as being obedient to do what He has called us to do.
- In a healthy place. We ask that women who are still in abusive relationships or recently out of abuse, to not lead groups. If you are in the midst of a separation/divorce or recently separated/divorced, we ask that you wait at least until one year past the finalized date to begin training. (Exceptions may be made by ARMS management).
- Have a balanced view of men, as opposed to having a negative view.
- Looking to serve others, knowing that the classes aren’t there for you to share your story but are about serving others.
- Lead “Her Journey” classes as outlined by ARMS
- Encourage women to seek their healing through God
- Help women to see what options are available for them
- Pray for and with the women you serve
- Believe God hears and answers your prayers
Modeling healthy boundaries to these women is crucial. These limitations serve as your guidelines for doing this.
- Do not try to fix things for the women you serve (i.e. Make phone calls for a woman to find housing or a job). You can refer her to where she can find these things. We want to empower her, not do for her what she can do for herself.
- Do not give out phone numbers, emails or addresses of leaders or participants.
- Do not make phone calls to class members unless you are their counselor or previously connected before group. (friend, relative, acquaintance, co-worker etc). If you are their counselor or previously connected, please ensure that it is safe for her to receive your call (away from abuser) if you do contact her.
- Do not give out group location, day/dates or times via text, messaging, email or any written or internet communication as we cannot verify that it is actually received by the intended recipient. We want to keep the group safe for all attendees. Only provide group information to females in person, or by having them call the office for information.
- Do not connect with group members on social media unless you were connected with them there before they attended group. Remain their leader, not their friend.
- Do not provide individual counseling unless you are a licensed counselor.
- Do not meet with attendees outside of group for anything regarding her healing process and/or ARMS unless you are their counselor and/or were connected with them before they attended Her Journey (friend, relative, acquaintance, co-worker etc.).
- Do not copy any part of the Her Journey Leadership Book for any person without the direct written permission from ARMS. Copy only the handouts for the attendees.
- Do not add, delete, or change the lesson beyond personalizing it through examples, stories, and scripture.
- Do not accept any personal checks or cash gifts from class attendees.
- Do not allow any children over three months of age to attend group. Her Journey groups are not intended for children. Please ask ladies to remove their infant(s) from the area, if it/they become distractive to others. Young women fourteen or older may attend if appropriate.
- Do not allow any men or transgender women (formerly men) to attend group. Her Journey is intended for biological women only.
- Guide successful Her Journey groups while listening to the Holy Spirit in a safe place (note- we do not hold HJ groups in homes unless it is an organized residential home for recovery). Turn in attendance once weekly via the web form. Read the curriculum as instructed and create a safe group environment for all. Communicate with the ARMS office.
- Work with women interested in training for leadership, if you and ARMS feel they are qualified and if they are interested. This might include:
- Verbally recommending a woman for the training program to the ARMS office when a woman shows interest in leading.
- Completing a formal recommendation later on in the process.
- Sharing concerns with interested women who may not be ready for leadership.
- Answering trainee questions or referring trainee to the ARMS office as needed.
- Allowing new, certified leaders to take a part in leading some of your group, as appropriate, and providing the recommendations on the ARMS Coachable Moments document. (Available on the Current Leaders page of the website).
- Communicating with the ARMS office as to how the trainee is progressing or if there are concerns.
- Give the women opportunity to financially give at each class unless you are running the group as part of another non-profit’s programming. We believe in the principle of sowing and reaping. This gives the women an opportunity to feel empowered and own their healing.
Note: Attendees should make checks payable to ARMS or give at https://abuserecovery.org/give. Send any donations you have collected monthly. Please do not send your personal check for amounts given in cash. It is best to wrap cash in paper and send directly.
NOTE: (1) You MAY NOT lead a group until you have received your Leadership Certificate. (2) If you are currently or in the past year have been involved in counseling for domestic abuse or trauma, we require a letter from your provider on letterhead recommending you for leading a women’s domestic violence recovery group.
Maintaining Substitution Leadership Status
For leaders not leading groups weekly, ARMS requires two things to maintain status as leaders:
1) Yearly recertify through the online educational platform
2) Substitute for one Her Journey class per year. If leaders are unable to meet these requirements, leaders lose their certification status and will be asked to discontinue leading. (Leaders can be reinstated in the future.)
ARMS Statement of Faith
- We believe that the Bible is the only true written word of God and that it is the supreme and final authority.
- We believe God is Triune: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus is the Son of God, conceived by the Holy Spirit, and born of the Virgin Mary. He led a sinless life, took on Himself all our sins, died and rose again, and is seated at the right hand of the Father as the only mediator between God and man.
- We believe that the only way to spend eternity with the Father in heaven is to receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior by asking for the forgiveness of our sins and accepting His free gift of salvation.
- We believe in holy Christian living, and we must have concern for the hurts and social needs of mankind.
- We believe in the power of prayer. God hears and answers our prayers
- Adhering to these truths is a requirement for ARMS Leadership.
- While different religions/denominations may have other doctrines outside of these basic Christian beliefs, we require leaders to strictly adhere to the above Statement of Faith. Our goal is to be respectful of differing denominational views while only teaching that Jesus/God is our Source, Healer, and Savior.
In Christ, our Leader,
I, the undersigned, agree to abide by the policies and beliefs outlined above. I understand that if I step outside these guidelines, I will be asked to discontinue leading the Her Journey program.
I agree that the program/business information of ARMS regarding its operations, including the manner and method of identifying potential group attendees and attendee’s needs, attendee lists, and specialized attendee information, is confidential and that I will not disclose ARMS’ program/business information to any third person without direct written permission from ARMS.
I further agree that the materials that ARMS develops for its programs are the property of ARMS and that the Leader will not copy or distribute the materials to anyone without direct written permission from ARMS, except for the handouts to participants in ARMS’ programs.
It is understood and agreed that if I breach any term of this Agreement, ARMS will be seriously damaged, but the amount of damages will be difficult to ascertain. Accordingly, I agree with ARMS that after my certification ends, that if I breach any term of this Agreement, ARMS will be entitled to an injunction prohibiting violations of this Agreement, in addition to any monetary damages to which ARMS may be entitled and any other remedies provided by applicable law.
This Agreement will be binding on and inure to the benefit of ARMS’s successors and assigns, whether by way of merger, consolidation, operation of law, assignment, or acquisition of the stock or substantially all the assets or business of ARMS. Any successor or assign is included in the term “ARMS” as used in this Agreement.
I agree that all of the materials that ARMS provides to me for the Her Journey program will not be copied or distributed to anyone without direct written permission from ARMS, except for the handouts to participants in the Her Journey program.
Print: __________________________________ Date: ___________________
ARMS reserves the right to add, adjust or delete policies. All leaders will be informed of these changes in writing. Please make a copy of this for your own records. (Revised 8/23)
© 2023 ARMS, Abuse Recovery Ministry & Services www.abuserecovery.org